Sunday 8 June 2014

Enjoying the Spectacle

1992 seems a long time ago. That was when the first Spectacled Warbler was at Filey. I didn't see that one (though I did see a Sardinian Warbler there the following year),. The Porth Meudwy car crash seems like another life time, and so does my only previous British Spectacled Warbler - a mad dash to Landguard in 1997 while I was doing my GCSEs. So, yes, it has been a while... and like many other species these days, Spectacled Warbler doesn't carry the aura it once did 'back in the day.


Spectacled Warbler Burnham Overy, Norfolk 8th June 2014
However, having had two really dross days at Crossness - with highlights being 3 Teal and a Peregrine - and having missed the Short-toed Eagle twitch while I was in St Lucia, I really needed to see something half decent. The annual June/July build up of 1st-summer gulls has started to get me going, but they're not ticking all the boxes just yet.  So venturing out of London just after midday I headed up through the sunshine to the North Norfolk coast where, after a pleasant walk eastwards along the seawall from Burnham Overy Staithe, I clapped eyes on this vocal, diminutive warbler in the dune slack.
Spectacled Warbler Burnham Overy, Norfolk 8th June 2014
To be honest, I really enjoyed it - no pressure, a small Sunday afternoon crowd and a naturally showy bird. It's relatively scratchy song and scolding contact call was good to hear too.

No comments:

Post a Comment